2007/09/23

AN EMAIL TO A FRIEND - on getting known by many

Hello, CF,

Thank you very much for your praise.

I never tried to submit my manuscripts to magazines or publishing companies, like the famous and rich UK female writer once did, to be part of the litter piled up on the desks of the editors, waiting to be thrown away.
I don't know that magazine you mentioned, or any other magazine of serious literature in Hong Kong.
Even in the Western worlds such as the UK writing people who want their works to turn into books are always much more than the market can support, not to mention this tiny little part of the globe once dubbed "cultural desert".
Many want to be famous, or just to be a writer, or simply an author of a single book. When you get famous, you get other things you want, coming with all those you don't of course.
That famous UK female writer first got printed on an unlikely narrow chance, and then she became famous when the American children discovered her. Her works do not fall into the category of literature that could find very few readers compared to the enormous world of children.

Putting excerpts from my novels on my blog could be a means of getting known by many. If my stuff is readable and good enough for the visitors, I soon will be in any corner of the world where there are Chinese readers, except the mainland which is under strict ideology control of course. Then hitting the printing press with a whole piece of work could become possible.
Getting famous is the last thing I want. I would like my works published anonymously. Yet I am no longer young and time is not on my side.

I have no way to cheer up my entrepreneur spirit for lack of big cash, although I am not starving yet for the time being, as long as I still possess a certain means of surviving that you know!
Now I have created my blog. Other than the chances to get my works to the printing press, my stuff could speak for itself and well back me up in case I need to apply for the post of a humble editor in a decent Chinese magazine. Would you agree?

沒有留言: